CURATION & COLLABORATION
- • RECITAL SERIES
- The Tesla Quartet will present a specially curated series of concerts over the course of a week, semester, or year, focusing on a specific composer or musical theme. Examples could include:
- • The complete Bartók quartets
- • The complete Opus 20 quartets of Joseph Haydn
- • Compositional trends in the 21st Century
- • ”Late Style” in composition
- • LECTURE RECITAL
- For a more intimate and in-depth exploration of a single piece of music, the Tesla Quartet will discuss the history, analysis, and their unique interpretation of a work from its repertoire. The audience will be invited to join in the discussion with questions.
- • FACULTY & STUDENT COLLABORATION
- With enough lead time to rehearse, the Tesla Quartet will expand its forces to collaborate with students faculty in larger works of chamber music that could appear on the quartet’s full recital.
- • MASTER CLASSES
- Student chamber music groups are invited to present a single movement or complete work in public performance and receive feedback from members of the Tesla Quartet. Topics the Tesla Quartet likes to focus on include conveying the character of the music, historical approaches to style, and how to be open and engaged with your partners.
- • ENSEMBLE COACHING
- For residencies of more substantial length, members of the Tesla Quartet can provide multiple coachings to chamber music groups that are able to rehearse frequently and incorporate coaching ideas into their development, whether it is over the course of a week or a semester.
- • THE ART OF ENSEMBLE PLAYING
- While music students are often taught to focus on the technical aspects of their individual playing, a solid instrumental foundation is not enough to achieve success as an ensemble. The Tesla Quartet will lead a discussion with students and faculty about what it means to play chamber music, how to give and receive criticism, and address ideas such as openness, awareness, and empathy.
- • STUDENT COMPOSITION WORKSHOPS
- The Tesla Quartet is committed to fostering the growth of young composers. The quartet can host reading sessions for students’ string compositions and provide feedback in areas of technique, balance, notation, and score preparation.
- • PERFORMANCE & RECORDING
- With enough lead time, the Tesla Quartet will prepare a selection of student compositions for performance, with the option to produce a live recording of the performance. If the school is equipped with the appropriate space and equipment, the Tesla Quartet can also record selected student works in a studio-like session.
- • ORCHESTRA COACHING & SIDE-BY-SIDE PERFORMANCE
- Members of the Tesla Quartet have a wealth of orchestral experience as performers from full size groups like the Cleveland Orchestra to small, self-conducted chamber orchestras like A Far Cry and The Knights. The quartet can provide coaching for string sections and even sit in with the orchestra for rehearsals or performances.
- • SELF-CONDUCTED CHAMBER ORCHESTRA
- The Tesla Quartet believes that the principles of chamber music can apply to any ensemble, no matter its size. For a residency of significant length, the quartet can lead a self-conducted chamber orchestra of advanced students, with regular rehearsals leading to a performance.
- • AUDITION PREPARATION
- Competitions and orchestral auditions can play a big part in the careers of young performers, and there is an art to successfully navigating the rigorous demands of these performances. Through coachings or master classes, the Tesla Quartet can provide feedback on orchestral excerpts and guidance on choosing repertoire, practice routines, and how to manage audition day.
- • ENTREPRENEURSHIP WORKSHOPS
- With such a varied professional landscape ahead of them, many music students wonder how they will carve out their career path after graduation. Whether through round table discussions or workshops, the Tesla Quartet can address topics like grant writing, ensemble management, artistic vision and planning, fundraising, social media and engaging with your community.